I don’t understand why patterns go out of print. Sometimes I can see why… the style gets old, maybe it doesn’t sell well, or it’s just not a flattering look. Sure, I could see those patterns going out of print. What I don’t understand is when a classic style with a great fit is no longer produced, just like Simplicity 2591.
You’ve probably noticed by now that I am partial to patterns from the Simplicity Creative Group. A few months ago they had an out-of-print pattern sale and I bought a ridiculous number of patterns, #2591 included. I had a few yards of a beautiful dark charcoal herringbone suiting fabric for a pair of slacks I decided not to make. The fabric was calling to me! And that is how the Power Player Dress was born (read more about it here).
- The fabric for the dress is from JoAnn Fabrics in Sherman Oaks (13323 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks).
- The belt is from Target and I really need to write an entire entry dedicated to this belt because I wear it with 90% of my entire wardrobe!
- The hat is from a couple of suave guys selling for TheSunHat.com at the Melrose Trading Post (I’ll write more about this soon).
- Shoes are my favorite Go For Brogue from Shoe Dazzle (read more about them here).
Here’s what I like about Simplicity 2591:
- Pockets!! These pockets are wide and deep.
- The princess seams are flattering, fit my curves, and are ridiculously comfortable.
- There is gathering in the skirt, both front & back panels, which gives the skirt a flattering fullness.
- My favorite aspect of this design is the side panels that are cut on the bias–I plan to make this in the striped chambray I just bought at Michael Levine and let the stripes really shine.
Here’s what I don’t like about Simplicity 2591:
- The pockets… there was an instruction I didn’t quite understand so I have a feeling that the top part of the pockets on this dress are more gaping/droopy than they should be.
- Pattern instructions call for a slip stitched hem, but I chose to use a blind hem instead.
Here are some more views of Simplicity 2591 (you can also see more about this project on my Craftsy profile page):
Yes, I would totally make this dress again! As I mentioned, I plan to use my new pinstriped chambray and sew this with cap sleeves. See view A:
I’ll stick with my blind hem, figure out the top of the pockets, and improve upon my lapped zipper application. I can’t wait! At this point I haven’t sewn anything in two months and it’s killing me… this weekend my sewing room will be unpacked enough that I can start to make something and I may just have to start on this one… stay tuned!
Happy pattern hunting…
Subscribe for goodies!
- Early bird announcements for upcoming workshops.
- First look at new services.
- Free webinars.
- Exclusive offers.
- Free stuff! (What's not to love?)